Into the Doorway of Food, where it's all about Eating...



Let's start the journey into my world of food...

Different tastebuds with different tongues; you're the eater and you're the judge...
What I share here is simply the passion towards food and drinks.

Don't hesitate to ctiticize; if you like my articles, encourage me.


Sunday 12 January 2014

9 Houses into 1? The 1881 Chong Tian

The first and only Chinese heritage hotel in a 130-year-old building, this is where the 1881 Chong Tian is, located at Jalan Pintal Tali. I think that this is the most exclusive gateway to the culture, history and luxury that brings together the accommodation, food and art. It's not only a hotel, lounge or restaurant but also a museum that is presenting the most authentic antiques from the various dynasties in the Chinese empire.

Again with the Groupon voucher, we've decided to try out the Nyonya cuisine that is served at their Chong Tian Restaurant中天樓. The 5-course meal consists of Deep Fried Assam Prawns, Chicken Curry Kapitan, Stir-fried Mengkuang, Braised Pork Knuckle in Soy Sauce and Kiam Chai Boey Soup.

The prawns are not so well absorbing the taste of the Assams whereby I think that the sourness is not sufficient to bring out my appetite towards this dish. The Curry Kapitan is not as creamy or as authentic as I've ever tasted but I can definitely accept the taste and I like biting the tiny chopped dried shrimps in the sauce. The Stir-fried Mengkuang or turnip is too thick or rough in the slices and the taste is not really very appetising because it somehow seems to be lacked of "something" that it's not as delicious as what has mom cooked. Anyway, the cuttlefish has still given sufficient saltiness to the dish that the turnip is still quite tasty to be eaten with the lettuce and Sambal. The best dish of the night goes to the Braised Pork Knuckle in Soy Sauce whereby the sauce is very delicious and appetising to go with the white rice while meat is very tender and as soft as the stew is. The only improvement that I may ask for, is to boil the pork meat longer in the sauce that it's able to absorb the soy sauce completely. The last dish is the salted vegetable with duck meat or the Kiam Chai Boey Soup that I find it's slightly too sweet. I'll prefer if it's spicier and more sour.

Ending with the meal is the Mixed Fresh Fruits. The meal is definitely enough for us as sharing and the meal comes also with steamed white rice for each, to fill our stomach. Based on the quality of the food with the price here, I think that it's worth for a re-visit...

No comments:

Post a Comment