Into the Doorway of Food, where it's all about Eating...



Let's start the journey into my world of food...

Different tastebuds with different tongues; you're the eater and you're the judge...
What I share here is simply the passion towards food and drinks.

Don't hesitate to ctiticize; if you like my articles, encourage me.


Tuesday 1 June 2010

'Lorong Selamat', I bet you know the most famous hawker food here...

'Lorong Selamat', it has always been well-known for the local Penang hawker food; 'Char Koay Teow' and 'Ice Kacang'. Char Koay Teow is a type of flat, white rice noodle that we'll fry with prawns, bean sprouts, clams and sometimes addition of sausages, then with dark soy sauce, chili paste and salt as seasoning. People like this local food for its delicious taste; dark soy sauce to create the aroma and sweetness, chili paste for a little spiciness, salt to compliment the sweetness and also the rich ingredients in a small plate of dish. Char Koay Teow is normally non-halal as pork oil is commonly being used to enhance the aroma.

Char Koay Teow is kind of heat food, so what you've always liked for the cooling? Coming into my mind is the Ice Kacang or we used to call it as ABC. I don't exactly know the reason behind of the name as ABC, but to my understanding, it means the mixture of vary ingredients or whatever ingredients that you like or you can find; in a bowl of machined ice. Usually, we've red beans, corns and jelly underneath the ice, before pouring in the red and black syrups. Nowadays, people like to add in one-scoop of ice cream on top and lastly, the not to be missed is the condensed milk. Overall, the Ice Kacang is a sweet dessert that is nice for hot days.

I do like the Char Koay Teow in Lorong Selamat as the owner is so generous with the prawns. The price is not cheap at RM7.50 per plate but it's worthwhile for me whom like rich ingredients in my plate. Besides, they Koay Teow is fried with enough heat whereby the aroma is released and the taste is enhanced to its optimum. If talking about the Ice Kacang, I'll admit that I'm shocked by the RM3.00 per bowl. Is this a common price nowadays? The Ice Kacang here is kind of normal, that you can find the similar taste anywhere. However, the restaurant is always full with customers... An Ice Kacang after the Char Koay Teow; always a perfect matching.
If you're searching for simple hawker food, do have a try at Lorong Selamat. It's a strategic place to find varies local Penang food here.



No comments:

Post a Comment